Monday, March 3, 2008

So, No Glasses Just Yet

Since everyone on both sides of the family is in need of some assistance with their eyes, I wouldn't be surprised if someday Zac needs glasses. His big sister just had an eye exam last week where they noticed some astigmatism and near-sightedness, and that certainly was also expected. Today, Zac had his first eye exam. Apparently, to do this on a baby you have to numb their eyes and then hold their eyelids open while a nurse holds the baby still and they can do the exam. Doesn't take long but wears them out quite a bit. He also had his eyes dilated, so he's a little extra sensitive to light today.

Until his 6pm feeding, it hadn't slowed him down, though, as he'd taken every feeding by bottle. But, he's too tired now to care, so he's fallen asleep and is being fed through his tube at the moment. Katy helped weigh him and give him a tub bath before, which also would've worn him out a bit. He has gained more weight and is up to 5 lbs, 11 oz. That's almost 2 pounds more than he weighed at birth. Surprisingly, that's even less weight than I have likely gained since he was born. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it is a good thing Zac doesn't have glasses just yet. I got my first pair of glasses today and let me tall ya I have had some major problems with judging my distance!!!!!!!!!!! :( ):

WISH ME "LOOK" (LUCK)
LOL
LOVE, Claire

Anonymous said...

Hi Claire,

It seems weird to talk to you through your daddy's blog. What do your new glasses look like? Are they cool like my new glasses? Sorry we missed seeing you when you were in Omaha. I hope I'll be in town the next time.

Love, Nana Nell

Dave said...

Hi Benedicts!
Praying for you guys today to have stamina and to be encouraged. Also praying that Zac is able to go home by the end of the week. Just keep swimming! (oh, I'm assuming you've seen Nemo).
Gina

Anonymous said...

Hi Nana, hopefully I can get my own email address soon and can talk to you that way. :)



LOVE Claire