Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Katy Back To Work

Today Katy headed back to work for the first time since January 27th, the day before she was admitted to the hospital with the high blood pressure that led to Zac being born 9 weeks early. It's been a long time of not working and she's not terribly thrilled about it, but she is our only financial contributor at the moment so it's kind of necessary. Even if I had landed a job here that didn't require Katy to work, she's stated she would still work because her company has treated her so well. That type of treatment deserves loyalty and we are both very impressed with Grace Mayer Insurance because of how they have handled everything these past 10 weeks.

My job search is fairly stagnant. I put in several job applications a week and rarely hear back from anyone. I've met with countless recruiting/staffing firms and that hasn't helped, either. The only one to even find me a position was Aureus, and that was for a dollar amount too low at this point to make it worth working. Most of them just forget about you after a few weeks or so. It's pretty frustrating that though their entire job is to find me a job, they don't seem all that interested. I've also called on quite a few friends, hoping for an introduction to someone with hiring power to give me a chance in a position of any kind. I have quite a few interests and talents, certainly not restricted to the tech work I've done for so long, but getting your foot in the door is pretty tough. Turns out that if I'd stuck with programming or gone into either accounting or health care, I'd have job offers coming out my ears right now here in Omaha. Guess that's just our market.

In other news, Zac is doing much better today. He seemed to turn the corner sometime late yesterday afternoon and hasn't had any recurrences of his "vountain" experience, so that's good. This the first day, of course, that I'm taking care of him without Katy's assistance overnight or during the day. That getting up after about 2 hours of sleep through the night gets old pretty quick. :) But there is no reason for Katy to have to get up overnight when she has to be to work in the morning. Assuming I begin working at some point, :), then we'll switch off again like we have up until now, but for the time being, it's all me. Woo...hoo. :)

No comments: