Friday, March 20, 2009

I'll Eat Anything...

That means Zac, not me. I'm very picky. Zac...not so much. Generally, his rule of thumb appears to be, "if I can grab it, I can eat it." I must say that as a parent, this is really not a "talent" I appreciate of his.

Today, he decided to try to eat a bug. Yes, a bug. About 3/8" long, black, lots of legs. A few of these have shown up over the past few weeks and usually the cats see them first and that alerts us to its presence. Not today. Today, Zac found it, put it in his mouth, then came crawling over to me drooling more than usual. As we'd already pulled wood and cardboard out of his mouth so far this morning, it wasn't a surprise that I'd have more to search for.

What was a surprise was that it was an alive, kicking and, if I could hear it, I'm sure screaming, black bug. Ugggh. I can watch Andrew Zimmern eat this sort of stuff on the Travel Channel without issue, but I have no desire to see my son do the same.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember very much, Scott, that at a very early age you learned to recognize and name those bugs! I don't recall your eating them, though! Perhaps Zac is about to start organizing them into groups and then he can start a collection. Good luck with all that....

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmm!!! I can't believe he ate a bug! Well I guess he just has a bit of a different look on things and if they are etible or not. Oh well.Though if he keeps this bug eating thing up, you might want to think about maybe putting some seasoning on it for him. LOL Gives it more flavor.

Anonymous said...

Sure thing, Claire. We'll just keep some Tony Cachere's cajun seasoning around and every time he puts something in his mouth he shouldn't, we'll pour some in. That will help. I've seen people eat bugs that were well-seasoned before. Yick! :)