Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Home Again...For Awhile

Sorry no pic today. I had intended to take a picture of Odessa while we were there this past weekend once I found someplace beautiful or pretty or, well, just anything other than sand and trash...BUT I COULDN'T. :) To say that West Texas is devoid of scenery would probably not be a fair statement, because surely some people find that terrain beautiful, but you sure have to look hard to find the beauty. :)

It's interesting, because we feel very strongly God is sending us to Odessa for a reason, though we don't yet know what that reason is. To me, it was important to follow through on my commitment to God that wherever He leads, we'll go, without throwing my own comfort zone or fears into this. Had we visited the area first and let that be a determining factor, I doubt we'd be making this move. But we're making the move because God said to go, and though I am confident God works with the path we choose, I am even more confident that when that path is His chosen one, the rewards are greater. I firmly believe I could've told God that I really never wanted to leave Nebraska and that if I'd begged Him to provide for us here, He would have. But as strongly as I feel that, I know in my heart that I always need to be open to His bidding, no matter the location.

I can very honestly tell all of you that this is not my preference. I'm a home-body, someone who enjoys his home and his state and city in Nebraska very much and has only a desire here and there to travel other places, even outside the country. However, I learned a long time ago that God wants to use me in different ways and teach me in different places so my relationship with Him can grow and He can reach others with me if He so desires. He has repeatedly moved me over the years away from Nebraska to work on different things in my life, to show me new experiences, to help me be an influence to others, or simply to put me in the right place to fulfill His plans. Since graduating from high school in 1985, I've lived in California, Saskatchewan (yes, that's Canada), Illinois, Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa and Mississippi. Of those, Oklahoma was the only place I truly enjoyed other than Nebraska. I'm hopeful this section of Texas proves to be more enjoyable than East Texas was back in 1994. I think it will be. The people are very nice and gosh do they love football.

The key in all those moves, and in being in all those places, was that each time I felt God wanted me to be there. Sometimes He brought great spiritual healing; sometimes He used me to be an influence to others; sometimes He just needed to get me somewhere to set me on a path to something else He had in mind. When I'm up in Heaven one day, I WILL ask Him, assuming I will retain curiosity in Heaven, to show me the map of what He had planned. It's fascinating on the one hand, scary, unsure and unknown on the other.

Saturday we spent the day driving all over Odessa and Midland and some surrounding areas, looking desperately for a house or apartment to live in. No dice. The housing market being what it is, anything that was available was vastly overpriced and that which was affordable was not where we'd be willing to live, especially with a small child in tow. We think we've now found an apartment complex worth moving into. It is brand new and in a nice section of Odessa. It's a bit more than we'd like to pay, but it's temporary anyway so we'll live with that until our house sells here and we can find the right place there. All things considered, we may end up paying more to live there than here, which was not in our plans, but sure looks to be the way it will be. Biggest worry right now is timing and moving and money and... :)

UPDATED/CORRECTED 7/23: We had a very nice time Sunday meeting Curtis and Marilyn Brewer, friends through some relation of Katy's Dad's Mom, I think, from Mississippi. At any rate, Curtis is the music minister at First Baptist Church in Odessa and they've been there 25 years. As he put it, they visited, turned the job down three times, then eventually accepted it. He thought they'd put in maybe 5 years and be out of there, but 25 years later, they love it. Wonderful people and we're so pleased to have good contacts in the area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott, this really makes me proud of you and Katy! There is no place on earth that you can be truly happy if it is not where God wants you...and the opposite is also true. I am so glad you have found an apartment and that you already have a church! That is a wonderful provision by God. Just keep trusting and following. And for sure keep sending those pictures of my sweet, sweet grandson.

Scott said...

Well, mom, we haven't found a church yet. We just visited that one because of the connection. The worship style isn't a fit, and we knew it wouldn't be, but we sure had fun. :) Haven't settled on the apartment yet, but know that if we have to rent, that'll be the place.