Monday, July 26, 2021

The Cruise - Day Seven - Endless Views

To the left you will see how Katy and I spent much of our final day at sea, just relaxing somewhere on some deck, enjoying the end of a busy, but rarely exhausting, week on the cruise ship.

I think it captures perfectly just how we felt...sipping on lemonade, or a coffee, resting up after several days in a row of off-shore excursions and so, so much time on the water, and finalizing a last mad dash to assure we had everything out of all the drawers and closet and hidden compartments and back into our suitcases, which had to be outside our doors by 11 p.m. Sunday night.

An endless sea view...literally all of our waking hours, at least on our side of the ship, our last day at sea.


For dinner our last night I chose the lamb chop, something I rarely get to enjoy, and it was incredibly tender and delicious. They paired it with some mashed potatoes, spinach and lentils. Obviously this is not an Alaskan meal, but is representative of the quality of food we were served in the main dining room during the entire trip. Breakfast and lunch was always at a more casual venue up on Deck 11 that had a variety of options, while supper was in a more formal setting, even if we weren't always dressed up. Our waiters Viktoriia and Hannah were amazing, adding to the experience. We made sure to leave a nice tip for each of them through Guest Services on the last day so they would see a little extra.

It took me six nights, but I finally figured out I could order as much food as I wanted, so I began ordering double desserts just to try something new. Below were my choices from the last night, an INCREDIBLE Pavlova and a cheesecake which was, well, it was OK. But the Pavlova!  Wow. Never had one before. If I see this on a menu again, I am ordering it for sure. If you don't know what one is, it's a meringue filled in the center with a curd or cream of some sort (this was lemon) and fresh berries in this case.  Katy and I have watched every episode of 'The Great British Baking Show' and they have many times referenced that a meringue should taste like marshmallow. Until this one last night, I had never had one that tasted this way. It was so, so good.

My Pavlova on the left along with cheesecake for dessert.

Our last night finished with the best show of the entire week, and there were some really good ones. This one was created brand new as an homage to stage and screen, primarily Broadway. We LOVE Broadway, so we were really looking forward to it.  What we did not expect were some vocalists, the blonde in the middle of this picture in particular, who were Broadway quality. My GOSH was she good. It was 47 straight minutes of non-stop action, moving between different numbers, different sets, different dances...it was almost dizzying and again, the quality of it was absolutely incredible. I could have watched that for three hours. 


And this concludes my blogs on our cruise. Our last day, on which I am writing now, has been spent back in Seattle. We disembarked a little after 8 a.m. and grabbed a cab back to the Edgewater Hotel we stayed at last weekend, just to stow our bags (Gary & Nell had a room for the night). Did a little more exploring, had a nice lunch and just relaxed until being driven to, almost, the right hotel in the afternoon.  See my FB post for that, but if you can't get there, our limo driver took us first to the airport, then dropped us at the wrong hotel. Luckily he dropped us at another Hilton property, and they had their shuttle driver bring us to the correct Hilton property. Phew!  :)  If you have me on FB, I'll be uploading a lot of images this week sometime and will add links to videos which I intend to post to YouTube. If you don't have me on FB, feel free to find and add me (profile name is jewfrat1).  God bless!

No comments: