Friday, July 23, 2021

The Cruise - Day Four - Icy Strait Point

Yesterday morning we entered the Endicott Arm (is it only me who hears Endicott and Alaska and thinks frigid?) to ice floes in the water and absolutely beautiful scenery.

I stood out on our balcony for a good hour after awaking, just in awe of the beauty before me and thankful of God's creation. His hand sure did some amazing things. Now, as you might suspect, if there is ice in the water, that water is cold and most likely the air is cold as well. 

These first two pics are sort of evidence of that. We were pretty well bundled up most of the day...well, except for Zac. He doesn't seem to feel the cold the same way Katy and I do.  Sleeves up, almost breaking a sweat...while Katy has her hands tucked away, which I completely supported.  Isn't she cute?  :)

So the port stop for a few hours last night was Icy Strait Point which, as it turns out, is the town/village?, of Hoonah. A local told us that with their temperate winters, they jokingly call themselves Hoonah-lulu.  :)  Now, I can't upload video real well with this connection, but I was able to upload a short video to FB of Orcas we caught in very rough waters. So cool to see!  So head on over there to see that, and eventually, more videos and pics will follow upon our return home.

While out on the excursion, in a smaller boat than the one in Sitka, we saw not only Orcas but again, an abundance of Humpback whales. Did I get a video of a little one jumping?  Nope! Did one jump...right behind us...very close...when everyone on the boat was literally turned the opposite direction?  Yes, yes it did.  Dang it! So, no cool video of that, but I did capture some more pics and videos that I will cherish from the trip. 


This is Hoonah, at Icy Strait Point. This is their view...every day.

We returned to the ship just in time to grab a quick bite to eat and hit the 9:30 entertainment of the evening, which was a Neil Diamond tribute show.  Our cruise director, John Blair, performed and explained that, growing up, this was the music his parents played. Well, specifically, his mom. It is where he developed a love for Neil's songwriting and music. He sang a number of songs I hadn't heard, but gave us several we all knew. I did not know Neil Diamond wrote "I'm A Believer", which was performed by The Monkees.  He sang that one as well. The theater here on the ship is really well appointed. I wanted to show a pic to try to capture that just a little bit. Great sound and really enjoyable shows so far.

Tomorrow's update will be Juneau! I have shared several pics from our day in Juneau already on FB, but more will be coming here, of course, as I am committed to the writing process! :)


No comments: