Saturday, July 17, 2021

Full Day #1 - Seattle - The Pre-Cruise

Our first full day in Seattle finds the Benedict family discovering just how far it is to well, most everything, from our hotel.  The hotel is wonderful, and the waterfront is wonderful. There are very cool sights, beautiful views...just nothing is right next door.

This is OK! It's OK, because we have been training for this. Yes! Zac and I have been on the treadmill, working on long-distance running. Katy has been doing step aerobics, getting into shape...OK, that's all a lie. Well, it's not a lie. We've been doing all those things, but we did NOT train for this. Not really sure how we could, but to be honest, it's not that bad!

If you wear the right kind of shoes, staying on the waterfront in Seattle is a great way to burn some good calories, get some heavy incline work in and see a lot of neat stuff.  I was not wearing the right kind of shoes for all of that, though technically, the sandals I was wearing are supposed to be great for walking on trails, etc.  Anyway, I digress, aside from some slightly sore ankles, things are going great.  Our initial pic is from Pier 56, I think...next pic shows  where we were, right next to The Seattle Wheel. I wanted to capture a view of the three of us on the pier.  

Look how happy! Look at my three chins! I really need to learn how to take pictures from angles that are only flattering. Admittedly, when you are made for radio, it can be difficult, but I'm confident that with practice, I may figure it out.  These first two pics were taken after we walked, and walked, found the place we thought we'd have breakfast only to find out they weren't open until 8:30...and walked, and walked, and gave up and went back to the place and got some breakfast.  Breakfast was...well, it was a good concept. They lacked in seasoning.  Like, salt. Salt would have been a nice addition to the eggs, or the sausage...or some moisture to go on the rather large biscuit would have been good. Again, good concept, just the execution was a little lacking. Now, right next to this place was a craft chocolate shop. I tried some sipping chocolate. It was good. Super rich, but easy to handle, and I was glad it was only four ounces I was drinking.

After a lot of walking this morning, where Katy and I both hit our step goal before 11 a.m., we went back to the hotel to rest a bit and kind of regroup. I nabbed this pic in the very peaceful lobby of our hotel (lobby? not really sure what to call the area) because this tree art, if you will, is throughout that area. It's interesting. Looks like you can move it however you want. 

This was welcome downtime before connecting with a friend of mine from junior high and early high school.  We had a chance to do lunch five years ago when I was in Seattle for a conference, but this time I had a chance to meet his wife as well.  Nik and Meredith are very genuine, made-for-each other kind of people. You can just see the connection and this was my first time meeting Meredith, which was such a joy! I can see why they are so happy together. 

I am notoriously bad at getting pictures taken of me with other people, but I stole this pic of the two of them from Nik's FB page, which he posted a few weeks ago celebrating their 20th anniversary. 

We had originally thought of doing lunch together, but getting in at the hotel restaurant is apparently nearly impossible, so instead we did a mid-afternoon hike through Discovery Park to see some of the beautiful views and enjoy the ridiculously nice July weather Seattle is used to, which we rarely get in July.  Low 70s, nice breeze...what is THAT about?  

Anyway, I grabbed a pic of the view from a bluff overlooking the water, the islands, the Olympia Mountains in the distance...what a treasure it must be to have such scenic outlooks right in your own city, available at any time.

I thought about taking a picture of the ice cream cone we had a little later, stopping at a local shop in the Queen Anne neighborhood...but it was wanting to drip, and I REALLY wanted to lick it...a lot...so I didn't get one taken. The flavor I chose was 'Yeti'. I can't remember if the base was vanilla or buttermilk, but it had granola, caramel, chocolate chunks and, I'm thinking, something else. I asked for a scoop in a waffle cone. I was then asked if I wanted a topping on it.  Oh really?  OK, then, how about some hot fudge?  THAT was just right. Gosh that was good ice cream.  

Here is where I need to interject something for my dad in particular, who will find this interesting. On our way to the ice cream shop, we drove right by Seattle Pacific University. I've known about this place since my childhood, as it always had a strong connection the Free Methodist Church denomination, which dad pastored in for quite some time.  I was mentioning this to Nik and Meredith, who was confirming she was pretty sure that connection was still there, when we looked to the left and saw a Free Methodist church. I have to say...haven't seen one of those in quite some time. Driven past the one I grew up in down in Lincoln, but that was just kind of interesting.

OK, last bit for today, because we are resting/relaxing the rest of the day and enjoying the feel of nice, warm showers.  As they took us back to our hotel, I was sad to see the afternoon end, but elated at the time we had just had, and so thankful to both of them for taking time out of their Saturday to spend some time with us and showing off their city. The way back to the hotel led us through some beautiful neighborhoods with fascinating homes, on many very, very narrow, very steep, streets heading back down toward the water. Just a great end to a great afternoon, and a part of this trip I will cherish for some time.  See y'all tomorrow on Day 2!

No comments: